This Dublin 8 hidden gem will be your new favourite wine bar
This Dublin 8 hidden gem will be your new favourite wine bar

Edaein OConnell

Make-A-Wish Ireland announces Wish Week 2025 with new sponsor its4women
Make-A-Wish Ireland announces Wish Week 2025 with new sponsor its4women

Edaein OConnell

Why the manosphere paints feminism as the enemy
Why the manosphere paints feminism as the enemy

Roe McDermott

Image / Editorial

Claire Byrne confirms she tested positive for Covid-19


By Jennifer McShane
23rd Mar 2020
Claire Byrne confirms she tested positive for Covid-19

The RTÉ broadcaster confirms she got Covid-19 and in an email, said she “well now and through the peak of the condition”


Last week, the presenter said she had symptoms of a cold and was self-isolating as a precaution, and on Monday, according to RTÉ, revealed she had tested positive for the virus.

The broadcaster confirmed the news on Monday evening after it was revealed on Saturday that a staff member had been diagnosed with the virus.

Byrne told colleagues this afternoon she is through the peak of the condition.

She has been in self-isolation for over a week after experiencing cold-like symptoms associated with Covid-19.

“I made the decision that I wanted you all to know this at the earliest opportunity. The HSE contact tracing system worked with me over the weekend,” she said, thanking everyone who had supported her after her diagnosis.

“I am well now and through the peak of the condition and I want to thank everyone who has been in touch with me to express support and in particular, those in RTÉ who spent their weekend dealing with issues that arose as a result of my diagnosis.”

RTÉ has said they would take all necessary steps to prioritise health and welfare as it continued to provide its news and entertainment programming.

Meanwhile, Tanaiste Simon Coveney also issued a statement tonight saying he has tested negative for the virus.

“Like thousands of other people, I was contacted recently by the HSE contact tracing team to say I had been in close contact with a person who tested positive for Covid19. I followed all protocols & tested negative. Sincere thanks to HSE team for their professionalism & courtesy,” he wrote on social media.

It comes after the number of those infected in the Republic rose by 219, with two more deaths as a result of the illness.