Calling all oenophiles: Here are the 50 best wineries to visit around the world
The World’s Best Vineyards awards have confirmed the top wineries to add to your must-visit list
Planning your next big trip abroad? If you are looking for fairytale cottages, ancient cellars or Michelin-starred restaurants, you might want to consider this list.
The World’s Best Vineyards awards have announced the top 50 wine tourism destinations around the world.
Aiming for unconventional, top tier wineries, the awards are chosen by an academy of internationally renowned oenophiles — 500 wine experts, sommeliers and travel correspondents.
They choose the best overall experience in tour, tasting, ambiance, wine, food, staff, view, reputation, accessibility and value for money.
This year’s list includes 18 countries across five continents, featuring unique winery experiences like horse-drawn vintage carriage tours, dining amid beautifully restored classic cars and unbeatable gourmet cooking lessons on an open fire.
While it’s no surprise that South American wineries hold the top two spots (Argentina’s Zuccardi Valle de Uco and Bodega Garzón in Uruguay), wineries in India, Bulgaria and Japan are also spotlighted.
Here are the world’s top 50 wineries in 2020:
- Zuccardi Valle de Uco, Argentina
- Bodega Garzón, Uruguay
- Domäne Wachau, Austria
- Montes, Chile
- Robert Mondavi Winery, United States
- Bodegas de los Herederos del Marqués de Riscal, Spain
- Château Smith Haut Lafitte, France
- Quinta do Crasto, Portugal
- Antinori nel Chianti Classico, Italy
- VIK Winery, Chile
- Catena Zapata, Argentina
- Fürst von Metternich-Winneburg’sche Domäne Schloss Johannisberg, Germany
- Rippon, New Zealand
- Delaire Graff Estate, South Africa
- Weingut Dr. Loosen, Germany
- Ridge Vineyards Monte Bello, United States
- Craggy Range, New Zealand
- González Byass – Bodega Tio Pepe, Spain
- Château Pichon Baron, France
- Opus One Winery, United States
- Ceretto, Italy
- Château Margaux, France
- Bodegas Salentein, Argentina
- Penfolds Magill Estate, Australia
- Henschke, Australia
- Bodega Bouza, Uruguay
- Clos Apalta, Chile
- Champagne Taittinger, France
- Champagne Billecart-Salmon, France
- Château Mercian Mariko Winery, Japan
- Château d’Yquem, France
- Bodegas RE, Chile
- Château Mouton Rothschild, France
- d’Arenberg, Australia
- Viña Errázuriz, Chile
- Gaja, Italy
- Domaine Sigalas SA, Greece
- Château Oumsiyat, Lebanon
- Wine Cellar Villa Melnik, Bulgaria
- Viña Casas del Bosque, Chile
- Bodegas Vivanco, Spain
- Familia Torres, Spain
- Viu Manent, Chile
- Maison Ruinart, France
- Domaine Marcel Deiss, France
- KRSMA Estates, India
- Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars, United States
- Château Heritage, Lebanon
- Quinta do Noval, Portugal
- Trapiche, Argentina
Feature image: Bodega Garzón, Uruguay
Read more: Step straight onto the sand with these 5 Irish hotels on the beach
Read more: These 3 easy-to-make cocktails are perfect for the weekend
Read more: Paella, pasta and more: 7 tasty holiday recipes you can recreate at home
No festive spread is complete without a traditional Christmas trifle...
‘People were too busy ordering bottles of brandy or finding out who had the cocaine’: Graham Norton on the Christmases he’d much rather forget
Chatshow host Graham Norton worked as a waiter when he...
Just a 15-minute drive from the city centre (and with...
What I Spend at Christmas: The 37-year-old digital marketer earning €25k who isn’t buying presents for her siblings
Christmas cost the average Irish family €2,700 over the festive...
‘Eclipsed’ director Kate Canning told Jennifer McShane of the challenges...
Paul Mescal fans, this one is for you… A 14-minute...
It was on this day, January 17th, 1998, when news...