Brie & Blackcurrant Tartlets
YIELD: 2kg (4 1/2 lb) approximately
1 kg (2 1/4 lb) Si?cra Sure-Set Jam Sugar
1 kg (2 1/4 lb) Blackcurrants fresh or frozen
About 425 ml (3/4 pt) water for fresh fruit
OR about 150ml (1/4 pt) water for frozen fruit
1. Remove the stalks, wash the fruit and put into a large saucepan with the water.
2. Bring to the boil and simmer gently stirring occasionally, to prevent sticking, until the fruit breaks down and the skins are soft. Fresh fruit can take up to 1/2 hour to soften, frozen fruit may only take 10 minutes, make sure all of the added water is evaporated off.
3. Add the Sure-Set and heat stirring until it is dissolved, then bring to the boil for 4 minutes.
4. Pot and cover in the usual way; label and date.
Brie, walnut and blackcurrant jelly filo pastry tartlets
2 sheets filo pastry
35g melted butter
200g brie cheese
24 teaspoons blackcurrant jelly
24 walnut halves
Preheat oven to 180oC / 350oF / Gas mark 4
1. Brush melted butter over one sheet of filo pastry. Place a second sheet on top and brush with some more butter. Cut into 24 equal sized squares. Put each filo square into a mini muffin tin. Bake for 5-10 minutes until golden brown
2. Remove the rind from the brie and cut into 24 cubes. Place one piece of brie in each cooked filo pastry tartlet.? Put one teaspoon of blackcurrant jelly over the brie then top with a walnut.
3. Lower the oven temperature to 170 and return to the oven for another 5-8 minutes until the cheese has melted.
It is easier to cut out the filo pastry if you use a pizza cutter.
Si?cra Sure-Set Jam Sugar
Ever wanted to create your own delicious jams and chutneys at home but felt it may be too difficult or too time consuming? For a hassle free, easy and quick solution to jam making, Si?cra’s Sure-Set Jam sugar is perfect every time. Use 1kg fresh, crushed, mashed or cooked fruit to one pack (1kg) of Sure-Set Jam sugar. Si?cra’s Sure-Set Jam sugar has been specifically formulated to ensure soft fruit jams and jellies always set successfully.
Recipe by Louise Lennox