Dolly-osophy: 20 Dolly Parton quotes that prove she’s the wisest woman in the room
11th Feb 2020
Dolly Parton is wise. Here are 20 of her best quotes which prove the theory
Dolly Parton isn’t just a superstar country singer. Nor is she just a cultural icon. She’s a giver of profound wisdom too.
From love to loss to everything in between, Dolly can wax lyrical about life better than some of the greatest philosophers.
From the struggle to the climb
Dolly was born in 1946 in Tennessee to a poor family. However, she never let her situation get in the way of her dreams and went on to become one of the most lauded country singers of our generation. She has won over 150 awards and has been nominated more than 400 times. These include seven Grammy wins and one Academy Award nomination.
Dolly Parton knows a lot about life. From the struggle to the climb, she’s been through it all.
And here are her golden nuggets of wisdom.
1. “It’s hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world.”
2. “You’ll never do a whole lot unless you’re brave enough to try.”
3. “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.”
4. “You know, I look like a woman but I think like a man. And in this world of business, that has helped me a lot. Because by the time they think that I don’t know what’s goin’ on, I then got the money, and am gone.”
5. “Smile — it increases your face value.”
6. “You gotta keep trying to find your niche and trying to fit into whatever slot that’s left for you or to make one of your own.”
7. “We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.”
8. “Being a star just means that you just find your own special place, and that you shine where you are.”
9. “Don’t get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”
10. “Find out who you are. And do it on purpose.”
11. “I’m not going to limit myself just because people won’t accept the fact that I can do something else.”
12. “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.”
13. “Storms make trees take deeper roots.”
14. “The magic is inside you. There ain’t no crystal ball.”
15. “I would never stoop so low as to be fashionable.”
16. “I don’t know what the big deal is about old age. Old people who shine from the inside look 10 to 20 years younger.”
17. “Above everything else I’ve done, I’ve always said I’ve had more guts than I’ve got talent.”
18. “I know who I am; I know what I can and can’t do. I know what I will and won’t do. I know what I am capable of and I don’t agree to do things that I don’t think I can pull off.”
19. “If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then, you are an excellent leader.”
20. “I’m not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I’m not dumb — and I’m not blonde either.”
Read more: 7 brilliant Netflix choices to look forward to this December
Read more: From Popstars to I’m A Celeb: 9 of Nadine Coyle’s best TV moments
Read more: 8 fun female celebrities to follow on Instagram now
The documentary Miss Americana has shown a different side to...
What’s seldom is truly wonderful, writes Amanda Cassidy Dublin Zoo...
“Every baby costs you a book” – that’s something women...
‘Femertising’ is big business. Brands are increasingly taking advantage of...
We are used to celebrities oversharing their lives. But sharing...
This healthy fish and courgette chips recipe from Jane Kennedy...