Dolly-osophy: 20 Dolly Parton quotes that prove she’s the wisest woman in the room
11th Feb 2020
Dolly Parton is wise. Here are 20 of her best quotes which prove the theory
Dolly Parton isn’t just a superstar country singer. Nor is she just a cultural icon. She’s a giver of profound wisdom too.
From love to loss to everything in between, Dolly can wax lyrical about life better than some of the greatest philosophers.
From the struggle to the climb
Dolly was born in 1946 in Tennessee to a poor family. However, she never let her situation get in the way of her dreams and went on to become one of the most lauded country singers of our generation. She has won over 150 awards and has been nominated more than 400 times. These include seven Grammy wins and one Academy Award nomination.
Dolly Parton knows a lot about life. From the struggle to the climb, she’s been through it all.
And here are her golden nuggets of wisdom.
1. “It’s hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world.”
2. “You’ll never do a whole lot unless you’re brave enough to try.”
3. “The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain.”
4. “You know, I look like a woman but I think like a man. And in this world of business, that has helped me a lot. Because by the time they think that I don’t know what’s goin’ on, I then got the money, and am gone.”
5. “Smile — it increases your face value.”
6. “You gotta keep trying to find your niche and trying to fit into whatever slot that’s left for you or to make one of your own.”
7. “We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.”
8. “Being a star just means that you just find your own special place, and that you shine where you are.”
9. “Don’t get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”
10. “Find out who you are. And do it on purpose.”
11. “I’m not going to limit myself just because people won’t accept the fact that I can do something else.”
12. “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.”
13. “Storms make trees take deeper roots.”
14. “The magic is inside you. There ain’t no crystal ball.”
15. “I would never stoop so low as to be fashionable.”
16. “I don’t know what the big deal is about old age. Old people who shine from the inside look 10 to 20 years younger.”
17. “Above everything else I’ve done, I’ve always said I’ve had more guts than I’ve got talent.”
18. “I know who I am; I know what I can and can’t do. I know what I will and won’t do. I know what I am capable of and I don’t agree to do things that I don’t think I can pull off.”
19. “If your actions create a legacy that inspires others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, then, you are an excellent leader.”
20. “I’m not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I’m not dumb — and I’m not blonde either.”
Read more: 7 brilliant Netflix choices to look forward to this December
Read more: From Popstars to I’m A Celeb: 9 of Nadine Coyle’s best TV moments
Read more: 8 fun female celebrities to follow on Instagram now
We’ve all heard that the royal family don’t exactly gather round to watch The Crown, but one member has shared...
Many of us are struggling to maintain a healthy sleep cycle during Covid-19, explains sleep technologist Breege Leddy. But there are...
‘We have not heeded the warnings sufficiently’: The health emergency we’ve ignored while focusing on the pandemic
The climate change debate has been going on for so long its become white noise. But this week, the effects...
‘Suddenly alive again’: The heartbreaking joy of finding a deceased loved one on Google Maps street view
“I look at my mum’s old house on Google maps street view, the house where I grew up. It says...
This beautifully finished end of terrace on Rathmines Road is on the market for just over the million mark
Built around 1860, the Victorian house for sale in Rathmines has all of the period features you would expect with...
I fear the true fallout of Covid on our cities is just getting started, writes Amanda Cassidy As the pandemic...
In a time when cool heads are needed – it’s more than the current heatwave that’s melting minds, writes Amanda...