28th Dec 2017
Hosting a post-Christmas party? All turkey-ed out? Cue a showerstopper, flavour bursting hors d’œuvre to keep your guests happy – beef negimaki with chilli dip, created by Catherine Fulvio for Siúcra.
Makes 12 small rounds
For the marinade
4 tbsp. Siúcra Rich Brown Sugar
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 tbsp soy sauce
2cm ginger, grated
1 tbsp. mirin or sherry
4 tbsp water
300g striploin beef, sliced thinly
3 spring onions, finely sliced lengthways
1½ yellow peppers, thinly sliced
For the dip
1 red chilli, finely chopped
½ yellow pepper, finely chopped
2 shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
A fine grating of fresh ginger
2 limes, juice only
3 tbsp. Siúcra Caster Sugar
4 mint leaves, shredded
Mint sprigs, to garnish
To prepare the dipping sauce
- Heat a saucepan with a little oil, add the chilli, yellow pepper and shallots and sauté lightly without browning.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add the lime juice, stir in the sugar and mint leaves.
- Stir until the Siúcra sugar has melted, then set aside.
To prepare the marinade
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
To prepare the rolls
- Lay the beef between plastic wrap on a flat surface and flat out until thin. Place the yellow pepper and spring onion lengthways on the beef.
- Roll up and tie with string at intervals. Carefully place in a shallow tray and pour over the marinade. Leave for about 30 minutes.
- Drain and heat a large frying pan.
- Fry for about 2 minutes on each side. Keep warm and allow them to rest for 3 minutes.
- Slice into 4cm disks, cut off the string and secure with a cocktail stick. Arrange upright on a platter and serve with the dipping sauce. Garnish with mint sprigs.
- Serve warm.
Created by Catherine Fulvio for Siúcra.
I fear the true fallout of Covid on our cities is just getting started, writes Amanda Cassidy As the pandemic...
Kate Garraway’s devastating Covid story is a reminder of why we must keep each other in mind as an invisible...
The Love Island presenter has divided social media after she singled out a journalist trying to confirm the name of...
Approximately 80% of people with asthma also suffer from hayfever, which can make summer days a nightmare. These three alternative...
ABGC Architects were enlisted to transform a large white box into a functional living space for two design-minded homeowners. When...
Hiking a mountain and breast pumping – now, that’s what we call multitasking at its finest. Mandy Moore enjoyed an...
It may be the most unifying show on television, but shows like Love Island are promoting some pretty damaging messages....