- The power shoulders ? Square, unflattering and padded to smithereens – No other movie was more about women’s newfound struggle to enter the working world and no other movie quite brought the power shoulder to prominence like it did.
- The glass frames – Yep they are making a hipster comeback, but just look how on trend Mel looks here!
- Hair – Big 80’s back-combed hair. Nothing will ever quite be as ghastly as that weird mullet shape they used to have. Or as voluminous – how did they do it?!
- The boat neck ? Now this in our opinion was one of the more flattering looks in the movie, worn notably during the scene when Melanie meets Harrison Ford while knocked out on valium. Very flattering, and back on trend thanks to the likes of American Apparel.
- That creamy-pink blazer – So horrendous and yet so very iconic at the time, and really rather nice over that collared shirt, and the symbol of Tess’s self-empowerment! Thankfully this won’t be making a comeback we believe, due to the incredibly unflattering lapels.
Working Girl will be on in The Lighthouse Cinema Saturday 12th April. For tickets see here
Roisin Agnew @Roxeenna