This vegetarian bolognese is a quick and easy way to get the veggies in for dinner
06th Oct 2020
Feeling under the weather? A veggie-packed dinner tonight is just what you need
This has already been a week to be reckoned with, and it’s only Tuesday. If you’re feeling run down or under the weather, the best way to get back on track is to rest up and get some fruit and veg into your diet.
This quick and easy vegetarian bolognese comes courtesy of Dr Michelle Braude, a qualified medical doctor and nutritionist who has authored two cookbooks focused on healthy, nutritious eating habits. It’s a twist on the classic comfort food that we all love, and can all be done in one pot (well, two with the pasta!)
- 300g (uncooked weight) whole-wheat or brown rice spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, sliced
- 300g tin cut green beans in water, drained and chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 125g mushrooms, chopped
- ¼–½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and stir. Add the spaghetti and cook according to the packet instructions.
- In the meantime, heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the chopped onion and fry over a low heat for 3–5 minutes, until softened and translucent but not browned.
- Add the carrots, celery and green beans. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, mushrooms and cayenne pepper. Add a generous pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir through the fresh parsley.
- Drain the spaghetti when cooked, and divide between serving plates. Top each serving with a quarter of the bolognaise sauce.
- Top with some freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot.
Read more: 7 simple ways to help your body detox at home
Read more: Five ways to improve nutrition in order to help reduce and relieve stress
Read more: This warming roasted butternut squash and apple soup is the perfect remedy for a dreary autumn day
A peek inside an award-winning Irish lakeside home, with beautiful attention to detail in every corner
Surrounded by trees with fantastic views of Lough Ree, the setting of this award-winning home was just the starting point for interior designer Egon Walesch.
Planning a family holiday abroad this year? Here’s what you need to know before travelling with kids. The rules regarding...
From restorations to innovative new builds, you can cast your vote for your favourite.
Thinking of traveling again? Louise Slyth has travelled the globe and learned lessons along the way. Here are her ultimate...
With generously-sized rooms, a large garden and a separate basement apartment, this home is ideal for a buyer looking for plenty of space.
As the only residential property in Kinsale town with direct water access, it’s bound to generate some interest.
This keto-friendly frittata has all the flavours of your favourite Greek salad and pairs beautifully with a delicious tzatziki. This...