11th Aug 2023
Loaded with tasty, fresh ingredients, this homemade pizza is a great alternative to your usual Friday night takeaway – and much less greasy too.
Peach, courgette and burrata pizza
Makes 2 pizzas, to serve 4
For the pizza dough
- 1 cup (250ml) lukewarm water
- 2½ tsp (8g) instant yeast
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2½ cups (300g) all-purpose flour
- 1–2 large pinches fleur de sel
- Extra-virgin olive oil
For the arugula/rocket pesto
- 150g arugula/rocket
- Scant ½ cup (80g) grated Parmesan
- 1 clove garlic
½ cup (70g) toasted blanched hazelnuts or almonds
- ¾ cup (200 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper
For the pizzas
- 1 quantity pizza dough (see above)
- 6 tbsp arugula/rocket pesto (see above)
- 1–2 courgettes
- 2 peaches
- Generous ½ cup (60g) freshly grated Parmesan
- 250g burrata
- Five-peppercorn mix, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5.
- To prepare the pizza dough, combine the water, yeast, and brown sugar in a bowl. Stir to dissolve the yeast and sugar and let rest for 10 minutes. Place the flour and fleur de sel in a large bowl, then pour in the yeast mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon to make a dough (it will be sticky), add a drizzle of olive oil, and stir to incorporate the oil. Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for at least 40 minutes, or until doubled or even tripled in size. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes to deflate it. Dust with a little extra flour as needed, to prevent it from sticking to your fingers.
- To prepare the arugula/rocket pesto, place all the ingredients except the olive oil in a food processor and process until finely chopped. With the processor running, gradually add the oil until well combined and smooth. Season with fleur de sel and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the pizza, cut the pizza dough in half and stretch or roll each piece into a disk.
- Spread a thin layer of pesto over the dough, leaving a narrow border all the way around.
- Wash the courgette and slice it thinly crosswise. Arrange the slices over the pesto, overlapping them slightly.
- Wash the peaches, then halve, pit, and cut them into 1cm slices. Arrange them over the courgettes. Sprinkle over the Parmesan.
- Bake one pizza at a time for 15–20 minutes. If the crust is browning too slowly, switch to the broiler setting for the final 3 minutes.
- Scatter over pieces of burrata, arugula/rocket, and crushed peppercorns. Serve immediately.
Extracted from My Art of Entertaining: Recipes and Tips from Miss Maggie’s Kitchen by Héloïse Brion (Flammarion, 2022). Photography by Christophe Roué 2022.