There are few things more comforting than a home-baked scone. Whether you like a classic butter and jam topping, or prefer to spice it up with a fruit mix, the humble scone can be baked in just a few easy steps, and will instantly remind you of your happy place. Try this sweet buttery scone recipe, in partnership with Kerrygold, from Camerino Bakery owner Caryna Camerino, in the comfort of your own home.
Caryna Camerino, owner of the Dublin-based Camerino Bakery, shares her sweet buttery scones recipe. Photo: Supplied
For the scones
- 110g Kerrygold Pure Irish Salted Butter
- 450g self-raising flour
- 5g baking powder
- 2.5g salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 eggs (1 will be for the glaze)
- 50ml cream
- 150ml milk
For the topping
- Fruit, sugar or any other topping of choice.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. Rub in the butter to this mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the egg, milk and cream together. Add this 'egg mix' to your ‘breadcrumb’ mix and stir until combined.
5. Once mixed, place this onto a clean surface and knead lightly.
6. Roll out to about 2 inches high.
7. Cut out your scone shapes and place them on a baking dish lined with baking paper.
8. Beat an egg and brush it over your scones.
9. Add fruit, sugar or topping of your choice (the topping will stick to the egg wash).
10. Bake for 15-25 minutes.
Read more: 'I find baking so meditative' - Caryna Camerino
Read more: Jess Murphy of Kai restaurant in conversation with Lizzie Gore Grimes
Kerrygold’s new #AtHomeWithKerrygold series enlists the help of their favourite kitchen experts who have shared tried and tested recipes for you to make at home. From impressive brunch recipes, to date night hits and ideas on what to bake with kids there is something for everyone! Follow @KerrygoldIRL on Instagram for easy-to-follow video tutorials on each recipe.
Click here to view all of the recipes.