Looking to lose weight? Here is a simple bread alternative that tastes delicious ...
Anything that helps fill us up without compromising on taste gets our vote. And, apparently, it gets your, too- this recipe has been liked and shared thousands of times since we first published it four years ago.
It's reminiscent of the classic brown soda bread your mother and grandmother used to make, but minus all the flour. Somehow, though it still does the job, and makes an ideal base for all the things you might lob on top of the regular stuff as well as all the healthier options you probably think you should put on it.
It also costs less than €1 per loaf. Low fat, no wheat and most importantly no bloating.
- 1 500ml tub of low fat natural yogurt
- 2 tubs of porridge oats (use the yogurt tub that you just emptied)
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil or vegetable oil
- A handful of poppy and/or sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C
- Get a big bowl and hand mix all of your ingredients gently but thoroughly
- Grease a loaf tin (try using the coconut oil for this - tastes great)
- Pour mix into the loaf tin
- Bake for 45 mins (at about 15 mins, sprinkle some extra porridge oats on top)
- Take it out and cool
- Carefully remove from loaf tin
- Put back in the oven for 5 mins to crisp the edges