One of the two boys convicted of the murder of teenager Ana Kriégel has lodged an appeal
One of the teenage boys convicted of the murder of schoolgirl, Ana Kriégel, has lodged an appeal against his conviction.
Boy B was sentenced last month to 15 years for murder, with a review after eight years. He made the appeal on Tuesday.
Boy A, his co-accused, was convicted of murder and aggravated sexual assault. He was sentenced to life with a review after 12 years for murdering the 14-year-old.
Both boys began their sentences early last month.
Related: 'Ana Kriégel’s mother is right. How can there be any solace in this conviction for any of us?'
Boy A has not made an appeal.
The courts service on Tuesday confirmed that Boy B had made the appeal. This was the last day of a 28 day period following sentencing in which an appeal can be submitted.
The boys, known only as Boy A and Boy B, were 13 years of age when they murdered the schoolgirl in Glenwood House on the Clonee Road in Lucan. Boy A was also convicted of aggravated sexual assault and is now on the Sex Offenders Register.
Throughout the trial, it was accepted that Boy B changed his version of events a number of times, but he eventually admitted he saw Boy A attacking Ana.
He did not accept the unanimous jury verdict which found him guilty of murder but has said he regrets not doing anything to stop Boy A’s attack on Ana.
Related: 'We have lost our child and the children she dreamed of having' - Ana Kriégel's mother shares victim impact statement
Delivering his sentence, Mr Justice Paul McDermott told Boy B he “actively and knowingly” took part in her killing.
It is not known how long it will take for his appeal to be heard, but such appeals generally take up to a year.
Both boys have remained unidentifiable due to being 13 at the time of the crime. They are the youngest ever convicted murderers in our country's history.