Will de Korte had been into baking since a child, but it was only after he met his wife Joanne that he started to engage further with his knowledge and love of cooking. He put himself forward for The Great Irish Bake Off and won through to Finalist. He now blogs regurlarly about food and dining, as The Cook's Belly. Here he shares one of his current favourite - the duffin - a mixture of a doughnut and a muffin.
400g self-raising flour
1/2tsp of salt
1/2tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
1tsp vanilla extract?
140g melted butter
12tsps raspberry jam?
100g butter melted
- Preheat the oven?200c/180c fan/gas mark 4.
- Grease and flour a 12 holed muffin tin.
- Sift the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in to a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, eggs, and vanilla extract, give a quick whisk.
- Now make a well in the centre of the flour adding the buttermilk and melted butter.?
- Mix all in to a batter. Beware this batter is really thick which is great because it doesn't allow the jam escape later on.
- In each muffin hole put about 1 dessertspoon of the batter, then pop 1 teaspoon jam in the middle and cover with more cake batter. Make sure no jam is visible.
- Bake for 20 mins, to test they are done lightly press on them and if they spring back they are done.
- Remove from the oven, allow 5 minute rest.
- Coat each duffin with butter and roll in caster sugar.
?Will de Korte @willdecortegibo