Tailoring still has a masculine cut, but boyish trouser suits are belted this season for an unapologetically feminine silhouette. Wide or skinny, knotted or buckled, choose a belt that creates a stark contrast with your blazer for a really individual look. Take the opportunity, too, to add texture to your workwear with a suede, patent or (subtly) embellished belt.
Expert Advice: Michelle Curtin, personal shopper at Brown Thomas
Michelle Curtin, personal shopper at Brown Thomas
1. If you are thinking of embracing a suit for winter, try Stella McCartney, Dolce & Gabbana, Dior, Hugo Boss, Theory, Victoria Victoria Beckham, or Sandro. If your work style is more relaxed, I would look to Ganni, Rixo, Isabel Marant and The Kooples.
2. Rich tones of caramel and toffee are a great alternative to winter’s perennial favourite – black. If you want to wear tan but fear being washed out, I’d recommend that old trick of adding colour close to your face with a beautiful scarf in a complementary shade.
3. Animal print is a huge trend this season and is the perfect injection of pattern to an otherwise neutral palette. A pop of pattern from a killer heel or clutch bag is also a good way to break up neutrals.
4. An impeccably tailored blazer that complements your shape is a must for every working woman. My favourite this season is Balmain.
5. A beautiful leather bag can pull together any look. Go crossbody and try Tom Ford’s Jennifer bag or the Saint Laurent Loulou.
Suede belt with studs and rhinestones, €115 at Maje, rhinestone waist belt, €39 at & Other Stories, rattan and faux leather belt, Cult Gaia, €155 at net-a-porter.com, leopard print double ring belt, €17 at River Island, studded leather belt, €29 at Warehouse
This article originally appeared in the October issue of IMAGE Magazine.