14th Aug 2014
Keep Calm Because Yolo
Side-boob, bingewatch and spit-take have recently been added to OxfordDictionairies.com in its quarterly update. Before the grammar elitists fly into an office chair rage, it is important to NB that these words do not appear in the Oxford English Dictionary, ie. the proper dictionary. The online-only variant serves to define modern words, so people of all generations and classes can understand terms like douchebaggery (obnoxious or contemptible behavior), and will not find themselves being entertained by those who mansplain ((of a man) explain something to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing)/are guilty of douchbaggery. Those of us who are tech-savvy might appreciate words like click-bait (content whose main purpose is to attract attention and draw visitors to a particular web page) being defined, so we can loathe the practice even more. Below is a listicle – where you will find the definition of this word amongst the new entries.
- acquihire (n.): buying out a company primarily for the skills and expertise of its staff.
- adorbs (adj.): arousing great delight; cute or adorable.
- air punch (n.): thrusting one’s clenched fist up into the air, typically as a gesture of triumph.
- amazeballs (adj.): very impressive, enjoyable, or attractive.
- anti-vax (adj.): opposed to vaccination.
- binge-watch (v.): watch multiple episodes of a television program in rapid succession.
- bro hug (n.): a friendly embrace between two men.
- clickbait (n.): (on the Internet) content whose main purpose is to attract attention and draw visitors to a particular web page.
- cray (adj.): crazy, but without that time-consuming extra syllable.
- Deep Web (n.): the part of the World Wide Web that is not discoverable by means of standard search engines.
- doncha (contraction): don’t you.
- douchebaggery (n.): obnoxious or contemptible behaviour.
- e-cig (n.): another term for electronic cigarette.
- fandom (n.): the fans of a particular person, team, series, etc., regarded collectively as a community or subculture.
- fast follower (n.): a company that quickly imitates the innovations of its competitors.
- 5:2 diet (n.): a diet that involves eating normally for five days out of a seven-day period and greatly restricting the amount of food eaten on the other two days.
- FML (abbrev.): (vulgar slang) f? my life! (used to express dismay at a frustrating personal situation)
- hate-watch (v.): watch (a television program usually) for the sake of the enjoyment derived from mocking or criticizing it.
- hot mess (n.): a person or thing that is spectacularly unsuccessful or disordered.
- hot mic (n.): a microphone that is turned on, in particular one that broadcasts a spoken remark that was intended to be private.
- humblebrag (n. & v.): (make) an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement whose actual purpose is to draw attention to something of which one is proud.
- hyperconnected (adj.): characterized by the widespread or habitual use of devices that have Internet connectivity.
- ICYMI (abbrev.): in case you missed it.
- listicle (n.): an Internet article presented in the form of a numbered or bullet-pointed list.
- live-tweet (v.): post comments about (an event) on Twitter while the event is taking place.
- mansplain (v.): (of a man) explain something to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing.
- mud run (n.): an event in which participants negotiate a course consisting of obstacles filled or covered with mud.
- neckbeard (n.): growth of hair on a man’s neck, especially when regarded as indicative of poor grooming.
- Paleo diet (n.): a diet based on the type of foods presumed to have been eaten by early humans.
- second screen (n.): a mobile device used while watching television, especially to access supplementary content or applications.
- sentiment analysis (n.): the process of computationally identifying and categorizing opinions expressed in a piece of text.
- side boob (n.): the side part of a woman’s breast, as exposed by a revealing item of clothing.
- side-eye (n.): a sidelong glance expressing disapproval or contempt.
- smartwatch (n.): a mobile device with a touchscreen display, worn on the wrist.
- SMH (abbrev.): shaking (or shake) my head (used to express disapproval, exasperation, etc.).
- spit take (n.): (especially as a comic technique) an act of suddenly spitting out liquid one is drinking in response to something funny or surprising.
- subtweet (n.): (on Twitter) a post that refers to a particular user without directly mentioning them, typically as a form of furtive mockery or criticism.
- tech-savvy (n.): well informed about or proficient in the use of modern technology.
- time-poor (adj.): spending much of one’s time working or occupied.
- throw shade (phr.): publicly criticize or express contempt for someone.
- vape (v.): inhale and exhale the vapor produced by an electronic cigarette or similar device.
- WDYT (abbrev.): what do you think?
- YOLO (abbrev.): you only live once (expressing the view that one should make the most of the present moment).
WDYT? Amazeballs? Or cray?
JR Doyle @TheWrongGirl_
This is a great way to get a juicy roast chicken, bursting with flavour. Bord Bia’s Spatchcock Chicken...
Your brain health is just as important as that of the rest of your body, says psychologist and neuroscientist Dr...
These days, going to a wedding is the equivalent of going on a short holiday in terms of cost. From...
“I was confused. Hadn’t I just been told this was a perfect time to be pregnant?” she questioned. Actress Cortney...
Annie Gatling, now Colleran, knew Trinity College was for her when she saw Front Gate from the top storey of...
Sarah Harding has died at the age of just 39, her heartbroken mother revealed today. The Girls Aloud star had...