25th Apr 2016
Some dating sites are exceptionally niche. Can you work out which of the following might actually help you find your match, and which are completely made up?
1. darwindating.com Online dating for beautiful people only!
2. womenbehindbars.com A matchmaking service for women in prison.
3. theuglybugball.com Dating for the aesthetically average.
4. fivefingerfling.com Find love with fellow shoplifters.
5. realitylove.org Meet the former reality show star of your dreams.
6. candobetter.com For people who are already part of a couple but believe themselves to be significantly hotter than their spouse or partner.
7. clownpassions.com For clowns and the men and women who love them.
8. stairfree.co.uk A site especially for people who live in bungalows for medical reasons.
9. Cupidtino A dating app dedicated to fans of Apple products.
10. glutenfreesingles.com A site for people with compatible allergies.
11. gothicmatch.com A way to connect with singles from the gothic and emo communities.
12. kardashiandating.com Where fans of America’s most famous sisters can connect.
13. datingdip.com Meet other honeys who love hummus as much as you do.
14. seacaptaindate.com Find your first mate.
15. whatsyourprice.com Auction yourself off to the highest bidder! It’s sexy and not weird!
16. farmersonly.com Get agricultural or get out.
17. pastlovespastlives.org Meet your dead ghost love from olden days.
18. footfetishpartner.com For people who really, really, really like shoes.
19. petloverdating.co.uk If you struggle to choose between your partner or your puppy, this is for you.
20. theatlasphere.com For daters who are keen to meet other fans of Ayn Rand.
Extracted from Meeting Your Match: Navigating the Minefield of Online Dating by Daisy Buchanan (Carlton Books, approx €16), out now.
The dating sites in 4, 5, 8, 12, 13 and 17 are made up. The rest exist. This is all the proof you need that it doesn’t matter how niche or novel your interests are. There isn’t just one person out there for you; there are enough to power a whole separate internet server. In fact, the only people you might struggle to meet are the ones with severe technophobia. And chances are that onlinedatingforpeoplewhorunscreamingfromtheinternet.com will be up and running within a year or two. As for the rest, if there isn’t a dedicated Kardashian dating site soon, those ladies are not as committed to capitalism as I previously believed.
This article originally appeared in the May issue of IMAGE, on shelves now.?
The documentary Miss Americana has shown a different side to Taylor Swift, writes Edaein O’ Connell I was never able...
Holograms of the children she may never have dance across Dearbhla Crosses' mind as an MS diagnosis and Covid-19 are unwelcome reminders of her biological clock ticking.
I fear the true fallout of Covid on our cities is just getting started, writes Amanda Cassidy As the pandemic...
A Malaysian judge has overturned an inquest verdict of misadventure in the death of 15-year-old Nóra Quoirin, changing it to...
Emerging after the pandemic: ‘There’s an awkwardness to my interactions, like I’ve forgotten how to socialise’
In just a few months, human contact became one of the most feared gestures. Being around people we loved was...