With Valentine’s Day less than 48 hours away, it’s high time we selected our favourite lippy to wear on the national day of love. Whether you’re lashing it on for a romantic date night, or heading out for a Galentine’s meal with the girls, you can’t deny that red is the perfect colour to wear this February 14. Trying to draw attention away from your not-so-matchy brows? Red lipstick. Want to show the world you’re a confident, independent woman? You guessed it, red lippy.
Whether you opt for matte or glossy, deep or bright, a splash of red can update your entire look instantly - from Chanel's smooth Coco Stylo to MAC's high-impact Ruby Woo, once you find a shade you love, you'll never look back. There’s a shade for every skin tone, from blue-based shades to bright orange-toned hues, so explore what’s on offer before you take your final pick. Don’t be afraid to ask for advice at the make-up counter either – make-up artists know their shades inside out, so make the most of their expertise.
With all that in mind, here are nine rosy shades we absolutely love:
- MAC Lipstick in Ruby Woo, €20, is perhaps the most famous red lipstick of them all. The much-loved shade is extra matte, extra red and lasts the whole night long. If you're finding application tricky, coat your lips with a thin layer of lip balm to ensure it goes on as smoothly as possible.
This Charlotte Tilbury K.I.S.S.I.N.G lipstick in Love Bite, €32, is what Valentine’s lips are made of. Its antioxidant formula protects your lips from UV damage and external pollution, while the careful blend of waxes and pigments gives your pout a sexy, lasting colour.
- Tom Ford lip colour in Cherry Lush, €49, is dramatic, highly-pigmented and lasts all night long. Its warm, orange tones are beautiful and particularly stands out on sallow skin. Avoid wearing heavy eye make-up for maximum impact.
- Huda Beauty’s liquid lipstick in Cheerleader, €21, is perfect for anyone with dry lips. Its lightweight formula is infused with antioxidants to help maintain your lips' hydration. A little goes a long way with this one, so be sure to only apply a thin coat. It’s also non-transferable - so there’s no risk of getting lipstick on his collar!
We love this one for its all-in-one formula. Chanel’s Rouge Coco Stylo, €35, has the intensity of a lipstick, the shine of a lip gloss and the comfort of a lip balm. Its ingredients include a nourishing Apple Seed Extract and hydrating jojoba oil and coconut oil to leave you feeling silky smooth all from morning to night. Irresistible, don’t you think?
- Bobbi Brown’s Art Stick in Harlow Red, €27, acts as both a liner and lipstick in one, which means precise application and gorgeous red hues in one quick swoop. This is a handy one to keep in your bag for top-ups on the go.
- Estee Lauder's Pure Colour Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Decisive Poppy, €32, has a sumptuously smooth formula. Don't be deceived by how lightweight it is. It has an almost gel-like consistency, but delivers full colour in a single stroke. This shade suits almost everyone, and the bullet is shaped to sculpt the curves of your lips.
- Yves Saint Laurent Vernis À Lèvres Vinyl Cream Liquid Lipstick in Burgundy Vibes, €33, is a high coverage liquid lippy for daring shine, comfort, and coverage for up to ten hours. The diamond-shaped applicator makes lip contouring a breeze, and you can use the point of the diamond as a lip liner before and colouring in. Plus, that deep, red shade is to die for!
- This one is for the braver of women who like their reds as dark as their chocolate. L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Matte Addiction lipstick in Mon Jules, €10.49, is packed with pure pigments for bold, vivid colour. While it’s matte, it isn’t drying, so you can top up without needing a coat of lip balm underneath.
Have you spotted one you like?