Most of us are familiar with the phrase “enjoy the little things, because one day you’ll look back and realise these were the big things”. In a time where everything is coming at us left, right and center, we rarely get a minute to sit back and focus on the small things that can make such a big difference to our daily life. If anyone is at a crossroads in their lives – maybe you’re about to embrace change or are still waiting for that big break – sit back and remember that your time will come. While you wait, we’ve rounded up 20 little things that will surely brighten up your day. The little things; often, there’s nothing bigger.
1. A morning lie-in (if you can get one!)
Need we say more? Nothing beats knowing that you can hit the snooze button on your alarm after a busy week.
2. Breakfast in bed
It might be rare, but it’s a treat when you get it.
3. The smell of fresh coffee
4. Your morning shower (with the water just the right temperature)
5. An unexpected compliment from a loved one
This is a real mood booster; even a simple “you look lovely” can give you a lift and make you feel good for the remainder of the day.
6. Hearing your favourite song
7. Five minutes of deep breathing
Often referred to as Mindfulness (or at least, a form of it), deep breathing and focusing simply on the day in front of you can boost your mood and help you feel more relaxed.
8. An embrace that lasts just a little longer than usual
Give someone a long hug today because who doesn’t love a cuddle?
9. A small victory
Did you finally put that flat-pack wardrobe together by yourself?
10. A change to your routine
Do something that’s out of the norm for your daily routine – call an old friend, take a day trip to a new place – the beauty of life is that you never know what lies ahead or what tomorrow will bring, and one small step could lead to something even bigger.
11. Ten minutes with an animal
Nothing better than playing with an affectionate animal to perk up your day.
12. A long phone conversation
Curl up with your phone, a cup of tea, a dear friend, and start reminiscing about life and the future.
13. A book you’ve been dying to read
14. Finding money you didn’t know you had
15. Putting on your favourite outfit/shade of lipstick
When you feel good on the outside, you’ll feel just as good on the inside.
16. An opportunity to be creative
Everyone has a creative side and expressing yours can make all the difference. But don’t wait for one—make one. Start a journal or a scrapbook, or get creative on Pinterest.
17. Eating your favourite food
Treat yourself, you deserve it.
18. Really laughing out loud
Remember the last time you laughed so hard your stomach hurt? Doing this just naturally lifts your spirit and mood. Call that friend who always makes you giggle or watch your favourite funny film.
19. A smile from a stranger
Give one and you may get one.
20. And finally, getting into fresh sheets at the end of the day
These are just some of our favourite little things. What small things do you do to lift your day?