It pays to know your flat white (microfoam poured over a single or double shot of espresso) from your noisette (an espresso with a splash of hot milk, giving it a hazelnut colour).
Dublin, in particular, has experienced an explosion in its speciality coffee scene over the past few years and is now internationally-renowned as a top-notch destination for passionate coffee aficionados. There are also great things happening outside the capital, from Belfast to Cork.
Try the Irish scene out for yourself this bank holiday weekend at one of these specialty coffee shops doing it right.
1. Coffeeangel, various locations, Dublin city; coffeeangel.ie
Karl Purdy’s is the only coffee chain whose door you should ever darken.
2. Love Supreme, Stoneybatter; lovesupreme.ie
Clean and pristine – minimalist interiors and a consistently velvety flat white.
3. Proper Order, Smithfield Square; @ProperOrder_
Friendly staff with a great and geeky coffee pedigree.
4. The Fumbally, Clanbrassil Street; thefumbally.ie
More of a lifestyle than a café … but the coffee is always perfect.
5. Vice Coffee, Abbey Street; vicecoffeeinc.com
One of the originals, serving up specialty Square Mile beans with aplomb.
6. Laine, my Love, Talbot Street, Dublin 1; lainemylove.com
The latest, uniquely-named, spot from Fergal Brown of Roasted Brown.
7. 3fe, Grand Canal Street Lower, Dublin 2; 3fe.com
A trailblazer on the Dublin scene. Always impeccable brews.
8. Kaph, Drury Street, Dublin 2; kaph.ie
The only window to be seen in on Drury Street.
9. Established, Hill Street, Belfast; established.coffee
Enthusiastic and independent, a must-visit in Belfast city.
10. Canteen, Mallow Street, Limerick; wearecanteen.com
The food is just as good as the excellent coffee offering in this Limerick favourite.
11. Coffeewerk + Press, Quay Street, Galway; coffeewerkandpress.com
A really cool craft shop and the best coffee in the City of the Tribes.
12. Clement & Pekoe, South William Street, Dublin 2; clementandpekoe.com
Superb teas, and just-as-brilliant coffee in a calming, WiFi-free space.
13. TwoFifty Square, Rathmines, Dublin 6; twofiftysquare.ie
Knowledgebale baristas, roasters and one of the best cold brew selections in town.
14. PS Coffee Roasters, Poplar Square, Naas, Kildare; pscoffeeroasters.ie
Brothers Peter and Simon McCormack from Kildare are nearly OCD in how they treat their coffee. They weigh, measure and time every coffee and they’re passionate about experimenting with new coffee and brewing methods. It pays off; perfect coffee. Every. Single. Time.
Send us your coffee shop recommendations in the comments below!