We love romance. Especially in books and on screen, because in real life flowers die. Flowers are a metaphor for disappointing men. We all have a favourite fictional couple. We all have that one movie or novel that makes us feel fuzzy inside. I want the fairytale. I wrote you everyday for a year. You complete me.
For Valentine’s Day, UK television channel Drama polled 2000 women to ascertain which immortal line from literature or film makes them swoon, the Telegraph reports. And the results will have you planning a DVD marathon.
The movie adaptation of Sense and Sensibility nabbed first place with the line, “My heart is, and always will be, yours.” The Jane Austen novel secured 16% of the vote. Edward Ferrars says the words to Elinor Dashwood towards the end of the movie – you know the scene where Emma Thompson is in an apron and grunts loads and Hugh Grant is all let’s get married? To be honest, much as we love that movie, we’re a bit surprised at how high it ranked. We wonder if Alan Rickman nostalgia played a part? The actor won a lot of hearts with his portrayal of Colonel Brandon in the 1995 adaptation.
Delighted to see Dirty Dancing and the Ultimate Female Heterosexual Awakening Scene nip into second place. First place in our private YouTube watching.
Titanic made third place and When Harry Met Sally came in fourth. All stellar choices, although we’d have liked to have seen Pride and Prejudice rank higher than Wuthering Heights. Mr. Darcy and his respect of a woman’s personal space over Heathcliff and his psychotic moors wandering every time.
Here’s the list in its entirety.
- ”My heart is, and always will be, yours.” Sense And Sensibility – 16%
- ”I’m scared of what I saw, I’m scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I’m scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I’m with you.” Dirty Dancing – 14%
- ”Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me … it brought me to you. And I’m thankful for that, Rose. I’m thankful. You must do me this honour, Rose. Promise me you’ll survive.” Titanic – 11%
- ”When you realise you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” When Harry Met Sally – 11%
- ”Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” Wuthering Heights – 10%
- ”I’m just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.” Notting Hill – 10%
- ”I love you. I really love you.” ”Ditto.” Ghost – 9%
- ”And at home by the fire, whenever you look up there I shall be. And whenever I look up, there will be you.” Far From The Madding Crowd – 8%
- ”But for now, let me say without hope or agenda to me, you are perfect, and my wasted heart will love you…” Love Actually – 8%
- ”In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.” Pride And Prejudice – 7%
Via The Telegraph