There is nothing like a great red lip to boost your confidence, distract from grown-out roots or take you up a dress code. But finding ‘the one’ can be tricky, so here are our favourite picks.
1. The formula of Estee Lauder’s Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick, €29, is unique: it’s lightweight and almost gel-like in consistency, but delivers creamy, full coverage colour in one swipe. Vengeful Red is a juicy, blue-based crimson that will flatter most skin-tones. We’re hooked.
2. New from NARS, the Audacious lip line celebrates the brand’s 20th birthday, and is named for iconic beauties. Offering single-stroke, high impact coverage that’s easy and comfortable to wear, they come in no less than thirty killer shades. Lana (pictured, €30) is a vivid, warm, orangey red that is stunning on sallow complexions; on paler skin, the scarlet Rita looks divine.
3. There are three main points to note about the Collection Exclusive Pure Reds from L’Oréal Paris. The first is that it’s foolproof: each shade is named for one of their fabulous (and ethnically diverse) spokeswomen; just pick the one that’s closest to your colouring. Secondly, the affordable pricepoint of €11.99. And finally – and most importantly – the quality: it’s spot-on, and each of these is lovely.
4. Who says a red lip has to be serious? Get nostalgic for your school art class with the Bobbi Brown Art Stick in Harlow Red, €26; this chunky crayon acts as a lip-liner and lipstick in one – and is a whole lot of fun to apply.
5. For an iconic, true Hollywood red, we love Chanel Rouge Allure in Pirate, €32. This universally flattering shade leans cool, with a hint of tooth-flattering blue. Neither too bright nor too deep, Pirate strikes the perfect balance; it’s one to keep in the handbag for when an instant glam-over is required.
Emma Henderson @fluffyblog